Monday, April 19, 2010

Weekend in Paradise

This last weekend we headed out to Hiko for the weekend to help my dad. Since Ryan has been on his mission my dad has not had a lot of help getting things done. Running a ranch the size of this and working a full time job is enough work to keep three men busy. On top of the regular ranch work he has also been working on a pipeline project for the last few years trying to get all the old ditches converted to pipeline. Last Saturday the Hiko ward decided to make it a ward activity complete with the relief society providing a delicious lunch. It was really neat how many people showed up to help. I was really impressed by the good people in Hiko. It reminded me how lucky I was to have grown up in an area surrounded by such great examples. There were about 20 guys and they got the work done quickly. They had expected it to take all day but they were done by 11:30.
Dalley had a great time riding around with grandpa all morning. He loves being outside working. After lunch we saddled horses and paired up more cows to haul out to the range. I was nervous to have Dalley outside the corral watching because I couldn't watch him every minute, but he did a good job of staying out of the way. After we got them sorted Ross, Dustin and I hauled another two loads out to the range. We had one flat tire which is pretty amazing due to the rough roads. It is not uncommon to get a couple.
When we got back there were more cows to sort and we had to do a little finish up work on the pipeline. It was a good day. I love working with my family and helping my dad. I just wish we could be out there more often.
Dalley and Grandpa on the cement tractor

Lunch under the old tree in the horse pen


More people lined up for lunch



Dalley was really independent at lunch. He wouldn't let Dustin and me help him eat. He is getting so big!
My little cowboy
Riding Apache

Dad in the sorting pen

Loading the cows

I love him

My dirty faced little boy driving the truck

Fixing a flat tire

Garden Valley
My two favorite boys

2 comments:

Lynda said...

I think I need to make it clear here that I wasn't being a vacant grandma. I would have loved to kept Dalley in the house with me, but that would have been cruel and unusual punishment for that little cowboy. He wasn't having any of that. In fact, you could relate that I did keep him so he wouldn't get in the way once and he was good, but when you guys got back he wouldn't have a thing to do with me after that. He wouldn't even hug me goodbye for a long time.
I am glad you guys came. It is always fun. I wish you could come more too.

Adam and Shari Crawford said...

Wow! That looks like a BUSY weekend! I'm glad you guys were able to help your dad. I know he has SO much to keep up with. I agree with you too, it does sound like Paradise